17 August 2015

Book Review: Only A Kiss

August is Buwan ng Wika in the Philippines. And to celebrate this, people have been using the hashtag #BuwanNgMgaAkdangPinoy to draw attention to the richness of Filipino literature. 

To help support this, I vowed not only to read more Filipino books, but also to write reviews about them :-) 

Here's my review of Only a Kiss, a book by author Ines Bautista-Yao. I received a promotional copy of this book during the Romance Writers of the Philippines event last June. Please note that this does not affect the content of my review.



Only A Kiss
by Ines Bautista-Yao


When she was nine-years-old, Katie knew she wanted Chris to give her her first kiss. It wasn’t because she was in love with him (no way, he was her best friend! Besides, she was in love with his fourteen-year-old big brother), it was because she could make him do anything she wanted. 

Besides, it didn't really mean anything. It was only a kiss after all. 

But then things started to change. They grew up. They parted ways and went to different high schools. And other girls and boys—well, just one particular boy—came into the picture, throwing their lives upside down. 

Told from the alternating points of view of Katie and Chris, this love story between two best friends will tug at your heartstrings and leave you thinking how the simplest things can mean so much.

Review


Best friends to lovers is my all-time favourite trope, so I simply had to read this book. And lordy, it didn't disappoint. 

Seriously. So. Many. Feels.

I fell in love with Chris and Katie almost right from the start. The narrative is full of emotion that's simply relatable and REAL---it starts when they're both nine years old, shows glimpses of their high-school and college lives, and finally portrays them as young professionals. Somehow, at the end of the story, I felt as if I *really* knew them. And the whole time I was rooting for them to finally get together, so when they did, I couldn't help but shed tears of joy. Seriously.

And I thought it was poetic how the story started and ended with a wedding. The path to Chris and Katie's HEA wasn't an easy one (because seriously, you really have to work for it, right?), but the choices and sacrifices they both made, made everything worth it in the end.I really recommend this book---especially if you're looking for something to cheer you up---because I assure you you'll be smiling (and crying) at the end of the story.

Oh and the cover and chapter art is truly gorgeous! :-)

Buy it now here!


No comments: